Somewhere In Between: BRILLIANT!
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



BRILLIANT!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I just received a phone call on my mobile (2 syllables) from a wonderful individual, Patricia who works at the British Consulate General's office.

A little background...As I stated previously, my wife Cheryl is, at present, living in Croydon, UK. (How many commas can be in one thought?)
In order to join her over there I was to complete a visa application for a spouse or dependent for someone that has been granted a Work Permit Visa. I was under the impression, that since I do not have a job upon my arrival in the UK, erego do not have a sponsor for my own work visa, as a spouse I would be able to gain employment under Cheryl's visa. Therefore...I completed the visa application for a Settlement visa, as I am planning on settling in the UK for at least a couple of years. That was my downfall.

Apparently, Settlement visas are for dependents and spouses of British nationals/citizens, which 1) was not made clear during the 8 pages of application data, and 2) I'm pretty sure Cheryl is not. Of course, I discovered I completed the wrong application after I paid for it (not cheap). Upon this discovery, I called the phone number on my confirmation email, where I was instructed (by recorded voice) to call another number to discuss visa applications. It just so happened that the 2nd phone number charges $2.10 per minute!!

Anyway, (this post is getting rather long...) I FedEx-ed the application and a page long letter detailing my error (moroness) and requesting someone contact me ASAP so I could complete the proper visa application. After 3 emails sent to the Consulate (2 were returned as "undeliverable" as it were) and another $2.10 per minute phone call, everything seems to be set. That is where Patricia fits in.

Patricia received my most recent and only successful email and called me to discuss my situations. She told me to complete the work visa application online, obtain all the required documentation, and to FedEx it to her. Her specifically! She said she would personally take care of my application and I would be refunded the amount for the Settlement visa. She also gave me her direct line at the Consulate just in case. I just wanted to know that someone at the Consulate was aware of my situation so I could breathe a little easier, but this was above and beyond.

So, crisis averted and it appears that I will be able to leave as I have scheduled and my stress level may drop back to normal. Thank you Patricia.

Now I just need to buy my ticket...and pack.

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3