The Good, The Bad, and Other General Baby News
Published 11 April 2006 by Anonymous | E-mail this post

Well, the much awaited second scan/ultrasound/sonogram (whatever the kids call it these days) has come and gone, bringing both good and bad news, with a little additional tidbits thrown in for good measure.
The Good News:
Despite many prophetic reports from friends and family that I might be carrying twins due to the size of my swelling belly (the top half of my belly button is now officially popped out now), I am happy to announce that once again only one child was found during the scan. This child is healthy and has all expected organs and body parts. No anomalies were found.
The Bad News:
The baby is "on the bigger side." Fabulous! A woman with impending labor pains approaching loves to hear that she could be pushing a toddler sized object out of a not so big hole in just 4 months time! In addition, the placenta is low. This apparently is not "bad news" but it could lead to bad news if I end up being part of the 1% after having another scan at the beginning of June. With the odds that I've had in other aspects of this birth, nothing would surprise me.
Other:
In other general news, there is no gender to announce (for those of you who were still waiting eagerly for this). For those people who expected me to have my eyes glued to the screen during the entire scan, I am sorry to say that I ended up horribly sick and lightheaded during the experience, causing both my hearing and sight to go blurry while I broke out into a sweat and fought to keep from vomiting or passing out. (I'm guessing this is from constant pressure on my abdomen?) Needless to say, I did not see everything and therefore have no further comment in this area. The parts of the scan that I did see, involved the baby kneeling with both legs tucked up under him/her, which I'm sure would have prevented possible voyeurism had gender diagnosing been attempted.
In addition, I'm thoroughly annoyed with the medical system over here...largely because I don't understand it. Scott and I went into the appointment with the doctor today with a list of questions to be answered regarding things from birthing classes to hospital protocol during labor, etc... They flat out refused to answer the questions, saying that those are questions for a midwife, not a doctor. However, when I have tried asking the midwives, they always tell me that the questions can be answered later. Why won't anybody just take a few minutes to ease my mind and answer a handful of small questions?!?!? It's highly frustrating and becoming increasingly more stressful as I hear more and more disturbing news about labor and birth stories here in the UK. I will continue my search for answers, though I do not have another appointment for 3-4 weeks and therefore do not expect anything before then.