Somewhere In Between: A Night on the Town
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



A Night on the Town


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, we did it. After four and a half months of non-stop baby action, went out on a date and left Caleb with a babysitter. And we didn't cry or stress out or call to check on how things were going. (And by saying "we," I really mean to put more emphasis on "I") It was odd to walk out the door and not have my baby with me. I won't lie and say that my thoughts didn't wander to Caleb and how things were going or that I didn't pick up my phone to text or call and see how things were going because, well, I did. I did not ever cave to the desire, though, and all in all I think I did pretty well.

It was Scott's birthday yesterday so my friend Carrie (who is another American social worker here) babysat for us. Our original plans were to go see Wicked in the city. However, Scott also originally had plans to take the entire day off, which did not end up happening. In the end, we decided our evening would be too rushed to make it up to the city for a show and that we wouldn't have time for a good dinner. So Scott opted to see Casino Royale at the movie theater (after all, we haven't seen a movie at the theater since July, at which point I was so enormously pregnant that I could not bear to sit through an entire movie in those seats). I was less than thrilled with his pick of movies, but you can't exactly argue about it on your husband's birthday. So I went reluctantly (though I didn't admit this to him until afterward). To all of you non-Bond enthusiasts out there: this was a good movie. I have never been interested in James Bond movies and only made it through about 30 minutes of one I tried watching before, but I would highly recommend this film.

Sitting in the theater, I observed how much my life has changed since Caleb has been born. We now watch movies so quietly at home that we often have to turn on subtitles. This is to ensure that we hear Caleb if he wakes up (his room is upstairs and we decided not to invest in monitors). I was not ready for the intense volume of the theater that seemed to rumble my seat - I had forgotten how loud movies are! I had also forgotten how uncomfortable movie theater seats really are after 2.5 hours. (Or maybe I attributed my memories of discomfort to pregnancy.) Still, it was fun to be out.

After a delicious dinner of Spanish tappas, we headed home, only to learn that our baby had been sick (as mentioned in the previous post). That's right, he had vomited EVERYWHERE. Poor Carrie got a lot more than she had bargained for! The odd thing was that he had never vomited before and he was totally fine and happy when we left and totally find and happy when we returned. If I hadn't seen the proof on Carrie's clothes, Caleb's change of clothes, and the wet portions of the couch (where it had been cleaned), I would have sworn that she was just trying to trick us. Caleb was just laying there, smiling, and happy as can be. We talked to Carrie for a bit and then Scott walked her back to the main road and I decided to try feeding Caleb again (after all, he appeared to be fine). Nope. He ate a little, I sat him up to burp him, and he vomited everywhere again. Then, when I laid him on the floor so I could get a rag to clean up the mess, Caleb looked up at me, smiled, and rolled over to his stomach for the first time ever. He wasn't phased by any of it and chose that time to try new tricks. What a bizarre little kid!

We played with Caleb for a little while, having him roll for us repeatedly, and then I put him in bed, preparing myself for a long night. After all, he didn't have anything in his stomach and obviously something was not right (though he was acting fine). Scott and I went to sleep and didn't hear a peep from Caleb until the alarm went off this morning. I have NO CLUE what happened last night, but he's been fine all day. Maybe it was his way of getting revenge for us going out and leaving him at home.

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3