Somewhere In Between: TomAto, Tomato
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



TomAto, Tomato


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Differences:
Bacon – For the most part what they really mean is ham
Rubbish – Trash
Throw Away – Bin it
Pinched/Nicked – Took/Stole (this holds true in the presents tense use as well)
Cakes– Basically anything that is sweet (muffins, cookies, donuts…cake)
Cheers – Thanks
Nappy – Diaper
Post – Mail
Mobile – Cell phone
Pissed – Drunk

YOU bring everyone “cakes” when it’s your birthday, not the other way around. I tried to buck the system last month on my birthday and have everyone in my area celebrate the American Way by chipping in and buying me a cake, but they didn’t go for that.

It doesn’t rain that much – At least not yet. Everyone hears about how horrible the weather is in London, specifically the amount of rain. In Texas when it rains, it really rains. In the 5+ months I have been here it has been more overcast and misty than rainy. There isn’t as much sunshine as in the States, of course I haven’t been here during spring or summer (I will keep you informed). I will also say that while there are parts of TX I miss, the 100+ degree summers will not be on that list.

Tax – when you look at a menu, for example, at your local Starbucks when it says a venti vanilla latte costs £2.75 that is precisely how much money will leave your wallet. VAT, or Valued Added Tax, is included on all purchases. Now I don’t know much about VAT as a general practice, but its just nice when you have just enough money to buy that afternoon caffinated beverage. Note: Regarding VAT, I hear that Britain is actually taxed more than the U.S., but I would argue this is netted as healthcare is nationwide and you don’t have monthly premiums and co-pays for doctor visits.

Mobiles (aka Cell Phones) – If there is a cool, new cell phone hitting the stores in the States, it has been available in the U.K. for at least six months prior. Why? Don’t have clue. I still read American tech & business news this topic is addressed via articles about Motorola, Nokia, et al.

Cars – Ok, so a large majority of cars here are standards. In fact, you have to obtain a separate license in order to drive a standard in the U.K. People are quite interested when I mention just the opposite in America. I believe automatics are becoming more popular in recent years.

Offices – Desks are grouped together in a room and there are not cubicles. Now, I have never had my own office (Felker, Proctor) but I was quite satisfied with my cubicle. I had 5.5 ft walls and a lot of desk space and was able to decorate as I saw fit. The nicest benefit was overhead storage bins. I have a lot of files to store in my limited time working in the UK, however I don’t have any place other than my desk (or under it) to store them at the moment.

Markets/Grocery Stores – This is a small thing, but one that can cause problems. Grocery stores in the UK do not assist you in bagging y our groceries. Now, I am not some sort of grocery snob, above bagging my own groceries, but I would appreciate some assistance, especially when I have a lot of them to bag. I miss Wal-Mart’s little bag-turning device.


Just a few of the small things I have noticed in my just-shy 6 months here in the UK.

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3