I realise that it was only just a week and a half ago that I provided a full detailed update of Caleb's development. However, I feel as though another one is due because the kid grows and changes at such a rapid speed!

Since turning 5 months old, Caleb has become a sitting champ. With the exception of the times when he gets really excited and throws himself backward (which still happens on occasion so we keep the boppy behind him just in case), Caleb is now able to hold himself very steady as he sits up and plays. He can lean in different directions, and then pull himself back up with his turbo abs. This, of course, makes my life much easier since, as previously discussed, he does not like to lie down when playing anymore.
In any case, because Caleb is now an expert sitter, I felt comfortable taking him into the "crawlers" room at church on Sunday. Really, my initial motivation for this was not because I felt he was now "advanced" enough to change rooms, but because there were more toys in there. However, it turned out that there were about three other kids who could not yet crawl. These kids could sit up, however, and were less apt to be trampled than if they were only laying on the floor.
Upon moving into the "crawlers" room, I discovered that there are actually church members in there to watch the kiddos so that parents can return to the service (unlike in the "cry room" where parents just sit in there and chat while feeding or playing with the babies). I was not expecting this and did not initially take them up on their offer to watch Caleb (after all, I've only left him with somebody else on one occasion, and that was with a friend, not a stranger). However, after observing them with other children, I decided that I would leave Caleb for the last 15-20 minutes to see how he (and I) would do.
It was so good to get to sit next to Scott and be a part of the church service again. I hadn't realised just how much I had missed it. And when we picked up Caleb after church, the workers raved about how he was the perfect baby, saying that he just smiled, laughed, and played the whole time. I couldn't have been more proud!
In other news, Caleb also now eats TWO jars of food at night instead of just one. I figure this either means that he's either about to start getting really chubby or he's about to start getting longer again. I suppose only time will tell.
Also, his hair has now thickened out enough that it officially gets very messy at times and I need to start remembering to pack a brush in his diaper bag! Because it's cold outside, Caleb never leaves the house without a hat on his head. However, on Sunday, when I took off his hat, I discovered a whole mess underneath. Not only was his hair sticking up in several places, but his head had apparently been sweating some (probably when he fell asleep in the sling) and his hair had turned curly in parts (though other parts were still brushed straight). He looked very silly because his hair looked confused. I have to admit, though, that I continue to be excited about the fact that he has curly hair.
Labels: Caleb