Yesterday Scott and I FINALLY attended our one and only birthing class for the purpose of absorbing as much knowledge as possible about the long awaited (and dreaded) event. Luckily, we were spared the horror of watching "the miracle of childbirth" on video. (I really don't think that either one of us could have handled that - ignorance really can be bliss.)
The day ended up being much different than we had expected. There was absolutely no mention of "hoo-hoo-heeeee," as demonstrated in all of the movies and we were not sitting on the floor with baby dolls doing who knows what (as also demonstrated in the movies). Still, it was an informative day about what to expect and what to do. There are several different methods of painkillers used here than in the States, so it was quite helpful to learn what all of our options are.
I have to admit, however, one of my favourite (and most memorable) parts of the day was when there was mention of being "desperate for a cup of tea" while going through the labour process. Now, I love tea and own quite the variety of kinds and flavours, but somehow I think that having a "cuppa" will be the furthest thing from my mind while I'm contracting and everything else. I suppose that's one thing that will continue to distinguish me from the British (and Australian and South African) people here.
There is no doubt that having a baby in England has it's perks. After all, all antenatal and postnatal care is free, not to mention the entire process of childbirth and any painkillers chosen. Alternative forms of childbirth are encouraged. Plus, it has gotten our families on the ball and they are actually going to come visit us after we have lived here for a year! (just to name a couple of examples) However, it definitely has it's drawbacks as well; things that we had not necessarily considered:
1. If I have to spend overnight in the hospital, Scott will not be allowed to stay with me, even if I am in a private room
2. There is a chance I would not be put into a private room, thus sharing a ward (with people who I fear will end up being my clients in the future.)
3. The hospital provides NOTHING for us - no diapers for the baby, no hospital gown for me, no towels or feminine products... We have to bring EVERYTHING. It's not a huge deal but something that we were not exactly expecting. Guess I need to add some things to the hospital bag!
In any case, we are now as prepared as we are going to get for this process - somehow I doubt there is any way to completely prepare yourself for such an event. We are praying that everything goes smoothly so that Caleb and I can both be released from the hospital in 6 hours (which is an option if there are no complications) and would therefore negate concern of number 1 or number 2 listed above.
For now, the focus is: 3 weeks until my due date! (We'll deal with everything else when the time comes)