
Last night Cheryl and I watched
United 93. You probably know about the film, the first major picture about the 9/11 attacks. I figure everyone is in either one of two categories; those that want to see it and those that have made it a point to never watch it. Let me say this: it is a great film. I use the word film on purpose because United 93 is not just a movie that you watch for entertainment or repeat viewings.
We all know the story of flight 93, the only hijacked plane to not reach its designated target, most likely the White House, because of the collective courage of a group of strangers; average passengers on a flight from Newark to San Francisco.
What makes United 93 so good is the purposeful way it was made. No major actors are used, in fact several of people in United 93 (air traffic control, military) are portraying themselves. (I don’t want to say which because I don’t want that to lend credibility to one person versus another).
Also there are no back stories or histories of those involved (I do not use the word characters because that seems to trivialize that these were real human beings), no hindsight, and no political theme at all. We don’t learn anymore about any one passenger except what we would discuss if we were sitting next to each of them on the plane.
Paul Greengrass, the writer & director has a background in documentaries, which makes him exceptionally qualified to make United 93. It flows between scenes at the airport, various air traffic control stations, military command center, and the plane itself as if there is someone with a camera at each location just filming real events as they occur. As we watch, we learn of the each event just as it happens. We learn of each hijack and each plane crash just as those in air traffic control watching CNN or La Guardia air traffic controllers actually seeing the second plane hit the World Trade Center. Based on our knowledge of 9/11, there is no foreshadowing to any of the events.
While we were watching the film, I didn’t know that it depicts the events in real time. I did notice however that once the hijackers take over the plane, the story remains on those on board and their actions and does not go back to events on the ground. Of course we don’t know exactly what happened on board. We only know a little based on what the passengers' families have said.
Another reason the film works is there is no central person or persons involved. No overt heroism or grandstanding. I admit I was waiting for the famous “Let’s roll”, but it is said in passing, not a call to arms.
As I said earlier, United 93 is a great film. It is near flawless in my mind as it does not try to be anymore than a depiction of a real-life event that has changed the world. I understand those that don’t want to see it, but I do recommend it for those interested. It tells a compelling story, and a true one at that.