An Almost Haircut Disaster
Published 15 January 2007 by Cheryl | E-mail this post
I had been wanting a haircut for a month or two, but had been waiting until my hair stopped falling out and I stopped going bald (which happens after you have a baby, for those of you who didn't know). This time had finally come and we have scheduled family pictures for next week so I figured this weekend would be perfect timing for a haircut.
I'm not a haircut fanatic. I don't go every 3 months, as recommended. I'm lucky if I make it there every 6 months (in which case I think I'm doing pretty well until I start getting that lecture from the hair dresser about how it's not healthy for my hair to come so irregularly). Because of this, I do not have a regular hair dresser in England - I simply have not been here long enough to find one that I like. Therefore, every time I go, it's a crap shoot. The first time I seemed to come out even. The next time I lost big time (and had to go back to have it fixed). So yesterday I was yet again gambling on somebody new, always risky, particularly if you have to have photos made in a week. Still, I figured I figured my odds of looking decent on picture day would be worse if I just did without the haircut. So I made an appointment and went.
There are certain things that you don't want to hear from your hair stylist when you get your hair cut, including: "mullets are cool" and "the lady whose hair I just finished was here for 3 hours because I was so hung over this morning that I couldn't stand straight and was screwing up her highlights." I heard both these things within the first 10 minutes of getting a haircut yesterday afternoon. Panic! If he had not have already started cutting, I may have gotten up and left at that point, but as it was he was already in progress. So I sat tight and prayed hard.

Turns out, it's the best haircut I've had since entering this country and I will probably return to this same guy the next time. He loves working with curly hair (which many hair dressers seem afraid of) and offered several good suggestions. Guess I should not have judged him so quickly. However, I think in the future I may avoid weekend haircuts and ensure that they are not scheduled in the morning in order to prevent any hangover disasters from the hair dresser.