Somewhere In Between: Caleb's Quirks
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



Caleb's Quirks


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I just realised that whenever I do official updates on Caleb, I seem to address the same old cliche things, particularly expected milestones. So, I figured that I should share some of Caleb's quirks that make him unique.

1. He starts spitting a lot when he gets sleepy.
2. He watches me intently every day when I brush my teeth. When it's his turn to brush his teeth, he never swallows the toothpaste but instead spits or drools it out all over his clothes.
3. If I try reading when breastfeeding him, he will reach back with one hand and try to knock the book out of my hand or close the book while he is eating. If he is not successful, he will stop eating, sit up, and push the book down before continuing his meal. (I think this is because he wants my full attention on him.)
4. Sometimes when he is eating, he stops and makes a little noise indicating that he wants his pacifier. He will then suck on it for a few seconds before returning to eating. If I refuse to give him the pacifier, he will refuse to continue eating. Sometimes I tell him that he needs to eat a little more before he gets his pacifier, so he will latch back on and suck once or twice before stopping and asking for the pacifier again. No lie! The kid is a little rascal!
5. He rips out small handfuls of my hair every day when he gives me kisses because he grabs ahold of my hair in a death grip on both sides of my head.
6. If he is being fussy with Scott or myself, he will immediately stop and turn on the charm and flash a giant smile if somebody else approaches and says hi to him. He will maintain this little facade until that person is gone and will then return to the little mood he was previously in.
7. If he takes a nap on the bed next to me instead of in his crib (which I have him do sometimes just cause it's cute), he often grabs my arm and pulls it around him right before he goes to sleep.
8. He loves to look at the pictures on the camera after I take them and often gets upset if I don't show them to him. When he looks at them he smiles and laughs.
9. When I ask him if he can say "Mama" or "Dada" he gives me a mischevious grin (that is different from his normal smile). I think that he really can say it but that he refuses because he thinks it's more fun to listen to me prompting him all the time.
10. Right when he wakes up (and other times in the day as well), he likes to look in the mirror. I point out that "it's Caleb and Mama" and he starts laughing.
11. When he gets in his exersaucer, he always turns immediately to the "record player" station because there's a little place next to it where I hide a pacifier every time before I put him in. He gets the pacifier and puts it in his mouth. If he drops his pacifier at some point while playing, he will turn back to that station and open the little place looking for a pacifier again. I think he thinks it replinishes itself so I have to watch constantly so that I can "restock" it otherwise he is disappointed.
12. If I give him part of his clothes to hold on to while I'm changing his diaper or getting him dressed, he plays peek-a-boo with the item of clothing on his own.
13. He loves to talk during the quietest times at church, particularly if we are praying. Scott or I will stick a pacifier in his mouth, but he will reach up and take it out so that he can keep talking.
14. He shows very little interest in trying to watch the tv if we have it on while he's in the room unless a commercial or show comes on that start playing music. He LOVES music. Then he'll contort his body however possible to turn and watch until the music is over. When it goes back to people just talking, he'll turn back to his toy or whatever he was previously doing.
15. He often wakes up in the middle of the night and plays with his toys in his crib. He talks, squeals, and plays for who knows how long and then goes back to sleep. (I know this only because I occasionally hear him when I wake up to turn over or stretch my back.)

Anyhow, that's just a glimpse into my quirkly little boy so that all of you can have a taste of what his personality is like. I know that photos capture some of his personality, but thought you guys might enjoy a little more depth.

Labels:

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3