Somewhere In Between: Halloween Costumes
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



Halloween Costumes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Though Halloween is not nearly as big of a holiday here in England as it is in the United States, it is slowly becoming a larger event each year. I have been very excited to contribute to the growing holiday with the opportunity to dress up Caleb in a costume for the day and hand out candy to cute little Trick-or-Treaters that come to our door.

I discovered my first obstacle when I learned that costumes are hard to come by for babies. I searched several stores in an attempt to find a Halloween costume but everywhere I looked the costumes started at toddler sizes. At the two stores that catered costumes to babies, they only seemed to begin with 6-9 month sizes. However, over the weekend we found a 0-3 month sized pumpkin costume that he could wear (and it was on sale for only £3). Hooray!!!
When I put it on him, though, I discovered that my little boy is way too long for the costume! He could not stretch his legs out all the way and I therefore could not snap it closed at the bottom. Of course, I did not discover this until Halloween morning. What to do?!

Thus I began my attempts to throw together another costume from the items in our house. My first idea was to make him a duck out of his bathrobe. But after putting it together I decided that it looked more like a bathrobe than a duck costume because I had no way to give him little tail feathers or orange webbed feet.

So I continued my search and finally decided on a little makeshift gangsta outfit. He turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself. All it's missing is the bling (of which I have none of large tacky proportions and I didn't really want to spend money on anything for the day).
I was very excited to have some form of a costume so I put him in his sling and we headed to our first post-natal mother-baby group. I took my camera so that I could take pictures of all the little babies in costume. Lo and behold, the group consisted of 16 mothers and babies and Caleb was the ONLY baby dressed up in a costume. So now I have the feeling that all the other mothers in the group probably think I'm some delinquent mother and they don't want their kids hanging out with mine because he wear bandanas on his head and rolls up one pant leg!

In any case, I returned home for the evening to prepare for the Trick-or-Treaters and what do you know... only about SEVEN little kids came by! (we had been told by our neighbours that we would probably get "quite a few.") So now I'm disappointed because I didn't get to see very many cute little kid costumes, I have probably caused my child to be an outcast at the mother-baby group, and we have A LOT of candy left over and I'm still trying to get my pre-pregnancy figure back.

However, we have to end the day with cuteness as well, so Caleb is going to sleep in this cute little Halloween sleeper that Grandma and Grandpa Wright sent. At least he had a festive day even if the rest of the country didn't get as involved!

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3