I can see clearly now....(almost)
Published 09 November 2007 by Cheryl | E-mail this post
For some reason, blogging has proven to be incredibly challenging since moving back to the States. I have no doubt that this is partly because life is much busier than it was in England and I just don't have the energy at the end of the day to sit down and collect my thoughts. However, I also can't deny that my daily life just doesn't seem quite as "exotic" and blog-worthy here in Fort Worth like it did in England when we could globe trot.
In any case, there is much to catch up on, but the exciting news of the day is that I have officially made the decision to get LASIK so that I am no longer blind as a bat! I attended the consultation today to start the process, though I will not actually have the surgery until next year. I will complete the extensive exam in about a month, at which time I will update my glasses prescription (which is a bit too weak these days, especially if being considered for daily use) because I will have to move out of my contacts and into glasses for 4-6 weeks (because I wear gas permeable contacts) to allow my eyeballs to adjust to their natural shape. This is the step that I am DREADING because, despite the fact that I really like my glasses, I have a mental block against wearing them in public. Maybe this is because it doesn't seem natural to me since I've been in contacts for 17 years. Maybe it's because I won't be able to wear sunglasses and I'm uber sensitive to light. Maybe it's because the last time I wore my glasses to work, a 10 year old client told me he hated them and begged me for three hours to take them off. No matter what the reason, I'm just not a fan.
Ideally, this will place my surgery sometime at the end of January or beginning of February. The result? No more glasses or contacts...ever! (theoretically, anyway). I am not sure I even know how to digest this concept, considering that I got glasses when I was 8 and moved into contacts at age 10, but I am completely psyched! I'm tired of being completely blind. I'm tired of having to take extra precautions when scuba diving or swimming. I'm tired of the inconvenience of contacts when traveling (such as the lack of clean running water to clean them in Africa or scratching a contact while in Greece). I'm tired of having to squint when on roller coasters so that my contacts don't fly out of my eyes. Seriously, as much as I prefer them to glasses, contacts are still quite the hassle.
So I'm super excited about what lies ahead in the next few months. My main decision now is whether to pay for the regular procedure with a "one year warranty" or shell out bigger bucks for "lifetime coverage." Any thoughts?
Labels: Cheryl