Predictions from the Doctor
Published 06 August 2006 by Anonymous | E-mail this post
Well, I had another doctor appointment on Friday. This was probably my favourite doctor of all of the ones that I have seen (which means nothing because I will probably never see him again). However, I got so side tracked from chatting and joking around with him, that I forgot to get all my questions answered! I was just relieved that he seemed to know what he was talking about and he had a good sense of humor!
In any case, they don't do all of the "checks" here in England that they do in the States (which I'm definitely not unhappy about, though it leaves me in the dark a little more than my American counterparts are). In fact, he didn't even measure my stomach! He took the usual vitals and then was feeling my stomach (at which point I also forgot to ask how far the head is engaged and I can't read his notes at all).
Anyhow, I finally got up the nerve to ask how big this baby is. Up until now, no doctor has given my a size prediction...they just tell me that it's "a very healthy size" or that I have a "big baby." Now, I realize that often these predictions are not accurate, but I figured it would be more accurate coming from a doctor than my officemates (who are predicting that I am carrying TWO TEN POUND babies). In any case, after feeling this baby and looking through my notes, he very confidently said I was going to have AT LEAST a 9 lb baby. He then went on to comment on how I should have considered this before marrying my husband because the baby obviously gets the size from him. Seriously, I'm going to start warning every woman I know who is thinking about marrying a larger man!
I admit, however, that despite the fact that I got up the nerve to ask about the size, I chickened out when it came to clarifying whether he was saying it would be at least 9 lbs if I had the baby that day or if he was predicting the size if I go full term. I'm not sure that I wanted that answer.
I do not have another doctor appointment until 2 days before this baby is due so I will have little more to report on progress until all the "festivities" begin. We are praying that I don't make it to that appointment.