Somewhere In Between: Why British People Have Bad Teeth
Taken by Scott at a cafe in Aswan, Egypt - May 2006



Why British People Have Bad Teeth


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Everybody knows that British people are known for their poor hygiene and decaying teeth. Since I first arrived in this country, I have read many articles in the paper and heard loads of general complaints about it being difficult to register with a dentist in many parts of the country because of the high demand for dental care and low supply of dentists. I figured this was one of the contributing factors to the rotting mouths. So when I walked into the local dentist office two weeks ago to ask about scheduling an appointment for a check up and cleaning, I was shocked when they offered me an appointment the following Monday.

I attended my dental appointment this past week - my first in England. The dental office is about a five minute walk from our house, I sat in the waiting room for about 5 minutes. Jenny stayed at home with Caleb. I kissed Caleb goodbye a few times (this was my first time to leave him with a "babysitter" to go do anything else) and I went to my appointment. I returned home from my appointment 20-25 minutes later. I'm not even kidding.

My dental appointment lasted only 5-10 minutes! I sat in the chair and the dentist took his little mirror and looked at my teeth for about 2 minutes. He informed me that I had no cavities or problems and then ASKED me if I wanted them cleaned! What?! Of course I want them cleaned! He then proceeded to take a high pressure water cleaner and clean some plaque at the gum line of a FEW of my teeth. Then he polished a FEW of my teeth (missing one side of my mouth completely!). He had my swish and told me he was done! There was no flossing, no scraping, no lecture about how I should floss every day, no mention of needing to get x-rays of my teeth since I had never been there before, and only about 40% of my teeth were touched during the cleaning! (And not even the whole teeth of those being touched were actually cleaned).

It was the biggest joke of a dental appointment ever. But I've definitely found the reason behind the bad English teeth. I'm thankful that I've been blessed with good teeth so that I don't have to worry about getting further dental care in England (because quite frankly that thought is pretty scary to me now). I can always get a more thorough cleaning when I return to the States. I'm hoping that Scott receives an equally positive report, as he has had to have his share of dental work since we've been married.

|

About me

  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • Husband of an angel, father of two great boys, and a follower of God saved by grace.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3